Become a fan on FaceBook Read my Blog
Agent Photo

Allison James

Call Direct 403-708-5873


Calgary’s School System – All About Choice

Elementary school students raising hands

Homebuyers will often make significant sacrifices relating to price, size and amenities to ensure their children are educated in a desirable school. A 2013 survey by showed that 60% of homebuyers factor in school districts and boundaries when searching for a home. Of the 60% of respondents for whom schools are a factor in the buying process, 90% considered access to their school of choice to be “important” or “somewhat important.” Parents want choices when it comes to their children’s education.

The City of Calgary offers a wide array of choices in educational opportunities for elementary and high school students. In fact, a report issued in February, 2014 by the Fraser Institute stated that Alberta school districts offer parents “the greatest degree of choice in Canada.”

A full 94% of school-aged children in Calgary attend government-funded public or Catholic schools. The remaining 6% are enrolled in an assortment of private schools. The Calgary Board of Education (CBE) serves over 105,000 students in 225 schools while the Calgary Catholic School District (CCSD) is roughly half that size with 47,000 children in 105 schools. Calgary can also boast of a fully-funded charter school program consisting of six schools.

In 2014, the following Calgary high schools received the Fraser Institute’s highest ranking in their most recent report card for Canada’s schools – Western Canada, Sir Winston Churchill, William Aberhart, Bowness and Queen Elizabeth Junior/Senior High School. Rundle College and Webber Academy, two prestigious private schools, tied for the Institute’s number one ranking in Alberta.

On the elementary school level, Fraser named six Calgary schools among Alberta’s top ten, including Webber Academy and Clear Water Academy. These schools tied for the number one spot, followed closely by the Sunalta School. The public Sunalta School can take particular pride in the fact that the school has an enrollment where a full 25% of the students have special needs and 22% are in an ESL (English as Second Language) program. Principal Chris Aylesworth believes that “A school is only as strong as the system and the people behind it”.

A strong school system equates to a bright future for Calgary homeowners and buyers. The presence of good schools and alternative choices has a positive impact on property values. With ten new schools in various stages of construction, the educational choices available to Calgary families will continue to grow.


Do you need to move to celebrate the changes that are happening in your life? Let me serve you in helping you make the move to the place or home that reflects where you are in life’s journey! I will listen to your needs and use my knowledge and expertise to make this a smooth transition to the right place for you to call home in Calgary. Contact me at 403-708-5873,, or and let’s get on with your journey!

About Allison James

has been a realtor® since 1999 with Century 21 Bamber Realty Ltd. in the changing Calgary real estate market. A Century 21 Centurion Award 2007 recipient and a member of CREA and AREA, she specializes in residential real estate and has her designations as a Seniors Real Estate Specialist and a Certified Condominium Specialist. These designations testify that she has the expertise and resources to help her clients make a smooth transition to the next step in their life journey. She enjoys helping her clients as they move through many of the same stages of life that she, too, has experienced. The fact that the majority of her business comes from past clients and/or referrals from satisfied clients speaks volumes about her dedication to the high quality of service that she offers her clients to meet their Calgary and surrounding area real estate needs. She is a mother of four who are all on their own now, and a grandmother of eight. Besides helping people buy or sell real estate, she loves spending time with her family, being active outdoors, traveling and meeting new people, photography, playing the drums, reading, scuba diving, listening to music, learning new things, and nurturing her spiritual growth.

Allison James, Century 21 Bamber Realty Ltd.
1612 17 Ave SW, Calgary, Alberta, T2T 0E3
Tel: 403-245-0773 Toll Free: 403-708-5873 Cell: 403-708-5873 Fax: 403-592-9187
© Copyright 2014, Real Estate Websites by Redman Technologies Inc. | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

The data included on this website is deemed to be reliable, but is not guaranteed to be accurate by the Calgary Real Estate Board. The trademarks REALTOR®, REALTORS® and the REALTOR® logo are controlled by The Canadian Real Estate Association (CREA) and identify real estate professionals who are members of CREA. Used under license.